Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Seasons of Yin and Yang

To say Amed is a sleepy fishing village might be an understatement. A stillness and calm permeates this short stretch of land along the east coast of Bali--encapsulating it and folding into every aspect of it. Cut off from the rest of Bali by Mount Agung, the largest volcano on the island, Amed sits between fire and water, living in a state of perpetual equilibrium.


My first six months of travel were very active, very yang, very external. I saw a lot, I did a lot, I met a lot of people. At the six month mark, it all came to an abrupt halt when I landed in Otres Beach, Cambodia. Life suddenly became very still, very yin, very introspective. Not to mention I became very productive on my manuscript which I have savored and loved.


Things will be changing again very soon. If all goes smoothly, I will be planting myself in Chiang Mai, Thailand for the next six months teaching, living, and writing--where I will hopefully find my tribe of writers and yogis and miracles workers.


Perhaps these past three months are the the calm before the storm. Or maybe I'm sitting in the eye of a hurricane about to hit the other wall. I don't mean a chaotic, destructive storm or hurricane--just a more active and involved-in-things-around-me kind of life. And as I move into this more active, yang state of being, I will hang on to some of this yin where I'm able to stand still and see clearly as life swirls around me--so to be able to maneuver my way around all the flying cows and trees if they happen to be heading right toward me. Maybe I'm thinking of tornadoes. But you get the idea. 


Today I will linger in this incredible hidden Balinese gem called Amed before I begin to slowly transition to an altogether different reality.

Does your life move through seasons of yin and yang, of stillness and motion? How do you handle the transition?

4 comments:

  1. For a while it seems that I don't notice the yin and yang anymore, it didn't use to be like that in the past, but now seems that it is all a constant steady rolling of events, which in some way or another I truly appreciate. By the way I got asked tonight by my teacher about the "wild fox koan"...it reminded me of you. Big love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A constant steady rolling of events sounds like a pleasant existence for sure :)

      Delete
  2. Funny the cause and effect just eventuated a broken wrist for me...that will be some yin for a while. Much Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH wow! How did that happen?! Take care, and yes, much rest & love :)

      Delete