Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Burning of the Sigils

It starts like this:

Sign up for a seven week yoga course that turns out to be more akin to a mystery school

Make sigils 

Fall in love with them

Don't burn them

Lose them in the chaos of moving

Forget they exist until a friend triggers the memory

You must burn them, she says with vigor. You must!

Take this as a direct message from God

It takes half a day to find them

On the night of the first full moon of the year, burn them.

The next day an unexpected thunderstorm hits the city, clearing the atmosphere and cooling the air

Notice more stars over the city than ever

Magic seems to seep from seams unseen

Catch glimpses of it in the spaces between blinks, breaths, and dreams

Bust through another round of novel edits

Complete draft 7 and love it more than ever

Editor unexpectedly writes to check in, expressing her excitement, sending encouraging words

Count personalized rejections from agents as wins 

Stay focused and diligently moving forward

Expand agent list, let intuition and new doorways guide the way

Approach the next novel from a different perspective--let it get speculative, strange, and magical 

Revisit old short stories and create a plan for them

Brainstorm creative ideas for the new job

Read magical stories for inspiration

Writers are kind of like magicians, invoking creativity and inspiration and giving it to the world.

My path as a writer has always been pretty direct despite the many twists and turns my life has taken. But it's been all the twists and turns that's helped me see through a lens of magic, that's helped me alchemize the not so pleasant into something otherworldly and magical. 

The burning of the sigils was just another way of remembering to surrender and trust, to stay true to my path.

And so here I am--weaving magic and writing stories, as I always have. That's my only responsibility in this world as long as I step out of the way and allow the Universe to take care of the rest.

How do you invoke magic? How do you see it showing up in your life?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the introduction to sigils! I hadn't heard of them before. There are some beautiful phrases in this post. I love this

    "Magic seems to seep from seams unseen

    Catch glimpses of it in the spaces between blinks, breaths, and dreams"

    For me, these words capture how I experience magic - I wouldn't say I invoke it so much as noticing it in these spaces you speak of, where mind and body cease. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome 😀
    And, thank you 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sara. Well, what happen to your situation? Did you have to submit? When ever I thing of magic I think of black, spells, curses, witchcraft...taking away the soul and the mind. We should got to an Indian restaurant again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike! Magic holds whatever intention you put into it ✨

    ReplyDelete