Sunday, September 3, 2023

Quietude

From my westward facing window that covers the length of the wall, the sun moves across the mountains of Doi Suthep, and over the course of a year, it volleys back and forth, season to season, a steady direction of movement, a masterful marker of time. 

One month passed, then two, then three. 

For better or worse, I've shut out most of the world. In fact, it has been essential to my health and mental well being. My days revolve around routines of reading and writing and yoga practices. Talks and chats with my favorite people across the world. Publication and plane tickets and travel plans. An inward life of imagination, self-preservation, hibernation, preparation. 

Savoring the softness and slowness and silence I've wrapped myself in. 

I don't often venture out after dark these days, and those few times I have, it's been unsettling and jarring as though I've stepped into an oblique world where nothing seems safe or welcoming. And so I retreat back into quietude. 

I've always believed we move through different seasons of our lives--some we circle back around to, others slip away, never to return, and new ones can appear at any given moment. A life of trial and error, of cycles and seasons, and chapters and novellas. But I've written about this idea extensively and from many angles and lenses over the years. 

This is simply a check-in, mostly for myself. Hyper-focused on only those things that bring me a sense of peace and self-preservation as I prepare to travel internationally for the first time in nearly 4 years. 

In six weeks time, I'll be off on my travels, but until then, I could write about a myriad of things from books to yoga to stories about past travels and experiences. Or I could simply remain in this space of quietude for a bit longer. 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Sarah,
    In your most recent email (to “all”)
    you asked for writing topics.
    Ok, you being long gone from
    CA/the USA, I’m wondering about your perspective of the unveiling of Yogi Bajen and Kundalini yoga?

    Me, I could never fully accept the idea of the “kundalini uniform,” white clothing topped off by a turban for those uber believers.

    For me, I had thought how silly to believe that one’s clothing choices makes for a higher level of spirituality.

    Oh, and then one day a tell-all book is published by a former
    ardent “family” member and
    follower of yogi Bajen and the
    practice of kundalini yoga is dropped like a lead balloon, with barely a mention of “why” by teachers.

    I guess there must’ve been a lot of embarrassed Kundalini Instructors who realized they had been following a fake… and what was so interesting at that time is then craigslist was chockfull of unwanted, white clothing and used turbans for sale.

    (I joke because I care :)

    Anyway, what is your take on the fall of Kundalini yoga as that’s where we met ..?
    - Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Wow, what a juicy question! Thank you for asking 😀

      If you've known me since my Santa Cruz days, you'll know that I've taught very little, I've never worn the "white uniform" or turban, nor took on a "spiritual name." I think that alone says a lot.

      I studied yoga on my own long before I discovered KY so I already had a foundation and an understanding of its history. I knew enough to know that YB blended his knowledge of yoga practices with Sikhism and his own personal philosophy. So when I started finding teachers and practicing I was able to separate it all--took what worked for me and left the rest. I knew wearing white, the turban, and the spiritual name as well as many of the non-yogic teachings were not a part of what I wanted out of the practice so I removed them. In other words, I knew what I was getting myself into and used discernment accordingly. So, from the start, I was a follower of yogic philosophy and practices (of all kinds), not a follower of Yogi Bhajan. I went to classes and trainings for my own personal reasons. What other people believed and did (image and name wise) was none of my business.

      By the time news broke about YB, I was already far removed from my life in SC and most of the people I knew from that community. I noticed that some people kept going as though nothing changed, some people abandoned the practice entirely, and some took a middle road--shedding YB, the image, and his teachings from their own practice and teachings. Whatever reaction they had and route they took, that's their journey.

      I still practice, blending it with various other practices, which I have always done.

      From what I gather, it was Yogi Bhajan and the image and lifestyle he sold that fell, not the KY practice. Teachers who find the practice useful will continue to teach it. Overtime, YB will most likely fade from the picture entirely, but the practices will continue in some form or another.

      I hope this answers your question to some extent! I will definitely make a post on my own yoga journey--or maybe a series of them ✨

      Delete
  2. Thx for your reply and perspective, as I know you practiced KY before I did. — Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul! Thank you for letting me know the comment was from you. I started practicing in early 2007 at Body & Soul with Daljit Singh. Did you know him? I think he left SC in 2009 after he graduated from Five Branches.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sarah,
      I did not know the person you are referring to. But speaking of “Thailand,” yesterday in Santa Cruz I got the most amazing
      Thai massage from Thai therapist named Kay.

      She worked me over expertly with hands in oil, elbows knuckles heels over feet walking, standing on my back and legs… all with expertise, and I don’t know where she is. She gets the strength to do all that in one hour, but she’s used to doing it I guess.. the cost was a ridiculous $85 for amazing effort that she put out was also really good results. Her tel: (831)
      212-3024. One can call her directly and book with her from her private phone.
      The location is 621 Water St, CA,
      anyone who is lucky enough to be in town I would like to get probably the best massage there’s anyone else’s life :)

      Delete