Tuesday, April 17, 2018

South of the Equator, East of the Past

I am driving down a dark, desolate street in the village of Penestanan just west of Ubud when I abruptly stop and look up at the sky. It is not the sky of my Ohio childhood full of fireflies and telescopes, nor the sky of my post-collage Wyoming summers nor of my Big Sur and Clearlake midnight escapades chasing meteor showers and miracles, but it is the sky here on an island 8 degrees south of the equator, somewhere east of everything that came before.


I first came to Bali two years ago and planted myself in the heart of Ubud whose intense energy un-grounded me and un-nerved me and forced me to surrender to it before I short circuited. And in surrendering, I found a stillness and peace that lead me to getting lost in the energy and finding the unexpected mystery and magic of not only Ubud, but in the raw and wild energy spread across the island.


Two years later I've eased my way back. I started on the west coast in Canggu then headed east toward Ubud, but not quite Ubud, just west of Ubud in the quite village of Penestanan where I can look up into a dark sky and see stars and forget where I am, where I can get lost wandering through rice fields or driving through the jungle, where I can lose track of time, lose track of place, lose track of everything that came before.


I have been on Bali for two weeks now, and I cannot stop thinking about Rebecca Solnit's book A Field Guide to Getting Lost. The book begins with Meno's question: How will you go about finding that thing the nature of which is totally unknown to you? And like a meandering and haunting guided meditation, Solnit lures you into her ever shifting world of personal stories and historical landscapes, leading you to those unexpected things you find while lost in the unknown, terra incognita.


I first read the book in March 2012 during a thunderstorm on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. Then I re-read it on the flight back to San Francisco after having been stuck at JFK for over 24 hours. Somewhere in the sky over middle America moving at hundreds of miles per hour west, I intuitively knew that coming back to California was walking into certain unknown doom. I had left California living one life; I would return to live out a completely different one. Losing everything that came before is where I began to find those things whose nature was at one time totally unknown to me--those things of strength and forgiveness and grace and ultimately freedom and serenity.


Perhaps getting lost is the only place where we find those things we never knew could be found--those indescribable moments and scenes and feelings that cannot be captured by words or a picture. That point of transformation you never knew could be possible until you surrender to losing everything that came before.


What does getting lost mean to you? Like Solnit, do you see it as a point of transformation, finding those things totally unknown to you? Or something else entirely? 

5 comments:

  1. This is exactly how I feel about getting lost - and about how I feel it's been playing out in my own life. When we're lost, all we have is ourselves - so we're forced to re-examine ourselves head to toe, in and out. We have to look our fears in the eye and decide if we're ready to accept them. I find my life heading more and more into the very things I used to fear, and realizing that it's through the acceptance of this that I've found the space to become the person I want to be, and allow my goals to really start to take shape. Of course, my version of 'lost' is being stuck back in the States, realizing things here make even less sense to me than before I left, and having to make something of it anyway. Calling Portland 'weird' is an immense understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing you are able to see your situation that way! And as you allow your goals to take shape, everything will begin to shift.

    And yes, I've always heard Portland is quite the "alternative" city to live in. Over the years I lived in Santa Cruz if anyone moved away, it was ALWAYS to Portland. It's Sadie's hometown too, haha!

    Did you ever do that meditation I sent you? My yoga group started a new one. I can send it to you if you're interested. And remember, you have to stick to one for 40 days!!! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sara you are in Bali...props land paradise with amazing food that most people only see in pictures. What kind of cool props did you get on the streets of Ubud for your online students dazzlement? That is such a cool place and probably a little bit more expensive now too. I have faced a few fears in the last few years and each time I was so proud of myself. My last fear I faced was working at that school for two months and before that was being a cashier in a grocery store on the big Island. I was having difficulty everyday I was on that register and the expectations of me at that school were more than I could handle, but I did it for two months and I was overwhelmed even with help. It was an incredible experience for which I made many invaluable observations of the current times spliced with up-to-date technology and kids. I will have to see them sometime while they're in the 6th grade. They always put a big grin on my face. We always connect because they are looking for answers in life and I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike! Yes, Bali is more expensive than Chiang Mai for sure, but it's still Southeast Asia so in the larger scheme of things, it's a very affordable place to hang out for a month.

    I am SO grateful for all of my experiences in this life on this planet (the good, the bad, and the insane) because without them I would not be where I am. It's not always easy, but I sure am making the most of it, haha! I am at a point now where I am in constant pursuit of following freedom, serenity, and curiosity wherever in life they may lead. It took a lot for me to reach this point (LOTS of karma clearing, meditation, prayer, and faith), and I will hang onto it for as long as possible. I'm aiming for the rest of my life :)

    I'm definitely going to go visit the kids over the summer at some point! I'll let you know when I plan to go so maybe we can coordinate and go together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That all sounds very nice Sarah. I am going to drop by to see them in their 6th grade classes before the month ends so I better get on over there! The continuing situation no doubt will amuse me. We will meet-up at the school in July sometime. The thought of those kids with Narissa and Antara now in the 6th grade makes me grin. Now it is boot camp for them and no more phones in class. Ok Sara have fun and see you soon sometime.

    ReplyDelete