Thursday, October 31, 2019

Threads of Mystery

After dark on stormy waters, trapped on a boat somewhere in the middle of the Aegean Sea. Praying that the kid next to me wouldn't puke, that the boat wouldn't capsize. A few rows over a girl was having a meltdown. A nightmarish rendition of Sloop John B kept looping in my mind. I want go home. Let me go home. Why don't you let me go home....



How I ended up in Greece to begin with might even be the stranger story. I'd like to blame it on Apollo, god of light and wisdom, of prophesy and oracle, but that just makes me sound a little nuts. That, and I'm not into the blame game. So let's jump forward a bit.


My soul is lured to the most unexpected places for reasons only revealed as an afterthought. The name of a place comes into my awareness, and I know. It could have been that book on Greek Mythology that I found on a bookshelf in my house when I was a kid. Or perhaps my ongoing obsession with the esoteric and mysterious and otherworldly. Either way, it was in my psyche. I picked up the signal and everything fell into place. I met a teacher. There was talk of a retreat--Kundalini Yoga, Qigong, Akashic retrieval and healing. The timing was perfect. I was going to Greece.


The word mystery comes from the Greek word musterion (sacred secret) or maybe the verb myein (to close, as in the lips and eyes), depending on the source you check. And it doesn't take much digging to conclude that Greece is full of mystery. Its history shroud in myth and ancient architecture. Stories stretching so far back in time it's like they've always existed. Stories rich and complex, overlapping and interconnecting.


Deep in the mountains beyond Athens on the far side slope of Mount Parnassus sits Delphi, a site Zeus once claimed was the center of the world. It has a lot of stories, but it's most famous story is that of the Pythia, otherwise known as the Oracle of Delphi--a lineage of priestesses chosen to channel Apollo. Pilgrims would travel up the mountain in hopes to meet with the Oracle and ask for prophesies.


What is left of the Temple of Apollo, where the Pythia (or Sibyls, stretching further back) once channeled, a portal remains. Full of sacred secrets, entrenched with mystery. The vastness of the valley below. The towering columns. The chasms. The maxims at the temple entrance. Tour guides and books will tell you one story; deep inner knowing will tell you quite another. Know Thyself.


On another hill, near the center of Athens, not far from the Acropolis sits the National Observatory of Athens. Full of ancient books and maps of the moon and a replica (the original in a museum) of a strange anachronism called the Antikythera Mechanism, an analog computer dating from first or second (some sources say fourth) century BC. Designed to predict astronomical as well as astrological phenomenon to alarming precision.


Our guide darkened the room and opened the dome. Staring into deep space or simply up at a dark, star filled sky, the entire world falls away and something else entirely comes into awareness. It's a little ironic that the biggest and best telescopes in the world can't take you near as far as traveling inward, beyond time and space, to places that can't be fathomed by our current technology. Connect with the cosmos, tumble into the depths of the soul, into the depth of mystery, and there you are. Apollo was right. Know Thyself. The universe is far more mysterious than we can ever know.


Ancient mystery cults. Goddesses of the Acropolis. Lost Atlantis theories. John of Patmos and his controversial and strange Apocalypse. Never ending mystery runs through Greece.

Perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised I ended up here, standing on the far side slope of Mount Parnassus, overlooking the deep valley of Pleistos, staring up at the Temple of Apollo. Following that curious pull, the threads of mystery, and allowing the stories to seep through me.


On our last full day of the retreat, we hiked along the high cliff edge of the caldera on Santorini Island, crescent shaped volcanic rock, the remnants of a sunken volcano. White and blue structures etched into the cliff side, abandoned cave dwellings, winding cobble stone streets, the island has its own story. It took us four hours to trek from Fira to Oia. The sun set in the distance beyond the island and crowds of people gathered in wonder to watch the horizon, as though until that moment, such a fantastical and mysterious event had never occurred.


As we shift into Scorpio season, season of mystery, can you feel the change, the earth shifting, the night lengthening, the veils thinning? Do you sense threads of mystery running through your life? In your interests or your town or the places you are drawn to visit? Take some time this season to feel into it and tell me your stories of mystery!


By the way, I did eventually make it home. The kid did not puke. The boat did not capsize. Two weeks behind me now, settled back into island life, the monsoon rains last for days, memories of mystery still linger, ancient stories still surfacing. Back to writing life.

4 comments:

  1. I’ve always wanted to visit Greece, and now you have inspired me to make it actually happen. Happy belated birthday! I got to see Ween on Halloween and of course I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ali!

    You're Welcome--for the inspiration. Thank You--for the birthday wishes 😀

    Amazing, Ween...So Much Nostalgia. I cannot wait to see you again. Don't forget to visit me in Thailand 😀 December, February, and March are the best times, then not again until next fall/winter. I'll be in the US next Sept/Oct too.

    Big Hugs ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That sounds like you had quite an adventure Sarah. One day I will get to Greece. When do you want to have lunch again by the school? I have been a little distraught now for about 3 weeks since they deactivated my account on cambly. I was just a few days away from 11 months in and 5200+ chats. I was making an impact around the planet....I was talking about anything and everything and I kind of went over the top during a chat on top of many minor infractions I am sure. They have some stupid, unrealistic rules like many gov'ts. So, I broke the rules and they fired me! I am not arguing against punishment as I know I must be punished, I am arguing against the severity of my punishment...they have ross ulbrichted me! Why can't they just suspend me for a month or six months instead of total banishment! Makes you wonder who really controls cambly. as that is my personality and this time it cost me. When are you going to be in CM again? Have a good one Sarah:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike! I'm just now seeing this comment! I was just in Chiang Mai briefly for Jai Thep, but I'll be back again in the spring (probably late March) to visit. And yes, let's meet and catch up then!

    ReplyDelete