Thursday, September 21, 2017

One Year Grounded

One year ago, on September 21st 2016, I landed here in Chiang Mai, Thailand after nine months of traveling. I arrived without an onward ticket or much of a plan B if things didn't work out. I arrived with an inkling of a lead on a teaching position, and in one year's time, my life has exploded into more than I ever thought possible here.


One year now awaking to the sounds of the jungle in the city. One year now grounded in this life of unfolding magic. I weave my motorbike through the city streets and out beyond the city to the village of Pong Noi hugged up against the mountains. Pong Noi--where I teach yoga, study tarot, help facilitate a creative writing group, and where I'm organizing my first writing workshop, where I am developing meaningful relationships, where I am fully and wholeheartedly accepted.


Nearly two year ago, I left California broken apart in every possible way. I didn't even know how broken until I wasn't anymore. No, I didn't piece back together my life. I stepped forward into the unknown where all that matters is the present and sankalpa, the intention to move toward with each decision, each thought. And in this space, nothing is broken.

From this perspective, there is nothing but unlimited potential unfurling ahead. Simply being aware of this has the power to begin to change everything--the story of your past and how you choose to step into each moment and observe the people and world around you.

The moment I arrived here I made the conscious decision to continue basing every decision I made on the idea that magic would unfold if I followed what intuitively felt right--not necessarily the most logical or safe. And all I've witnessed is magic.


On the night of the new moon, we gathered for our monthly ritual. We set intentions, pulled oracle cards, and told stories. My amazing friend Sadie gave us the most incredible metaphor. As the door to her current life slammed shut, it slammed shut so hard that it broke the door frame and swung out the other direction, breaking down the walls and freeing itself from its hinges. She did not simply walk into another room; she was unleashed into the Universe.


Without any walls or doors to define who we were or where we are going, there is only the unlimited potential on all sides of us in the present, ready and waiting to be observed, harnessed, and lived--past, present, and future.

I challenge you to break down the walls of the room you are in and tell me what you observe on the other side. 

2 comments:

  1. !!! Beautiful. I love the idea of the door slamming and us finding ourselves in a New-Old place. I've created a life for myself in Europe, after leaving the US... And there's still more to let go of and to allow/embrace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! "And there's still more to let go of and to allow/embrace..." Yes! Absolutely! I'm still learning this everyday :)

      Delete